I am not a morning person. At least not when I have places to be and things to do. If I had it my way, I would wake up slowly every day and spend the morning however I pleased. Unfortunately, that is not the way the world works. Here are a few of my favorite ways to start the morning well and feel awake and alert.
- Drink a glass of cool water first thing when you wake up, before you eat any breakfast. Not only does this help your digestive system prepare for food for the day, it has been shown to help you feel as awake as a cup of coffee.
- Practice deep breathing as you start your day. Flooding your body with oxygen and grounding yourself mentally with deep breathing will help you to feel alert and ready for the day.
- Use cool water for the last few minutes of your morning shower. If you tend to shower at night, wash your face in the morning with cool water. As much as we all enjoy a warm shower when we first wake up, you’ll be pleasantly surprised how just a minute or two of cool water will make you feel rejuvenated and awake.
- Spend 10-15 minutes stimulating your mind with a puzzle, game, or your favorite book.
- Eat a well-rounded breakfast to give your body the fuel it needs to stay awake and alert. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to prepare a huge breakfast. My go-to for mornings when I am in a rush is plain greek yogurt with honey and my favorite fruits.